Graham condenser for the Magic Flute

Anything cooling/ condenser related to.Post here.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Re: Graham condenser for the Magic Flute

Postby olddog » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:37 pm

rad14701 wrote:Very well thought out, olddog... I'm really liking that build...

Thanks Rad I appreciate your comments, I think this design is going to stay with me,as I can now dial in whatever ABV I want to either get neutral or flavour in the one still just by adjusting the cooling to either the dephlagmater or the Graham condenser with the manifold control system.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
olddog
Master Distiller

Postby LWTCS » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Yeah Mike,
The organization on this rig is friggin sweat.

Picked up a bunch more set up (and clean up I recon) time on my operation.
How bout U?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
LWTCS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby olddog » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Yes I know where you are coming from Larry, I spent all day yesterday fitting and refining the plumbing of this rig, it's going to feel a bit quiet now everything is done.

OD
olddog
Master Distiller

Postby fireballmatt » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:08 pm

Figure I'm coming a bit late to this party, but that's quite a bit of gorgeous copper you've got showing there.

I was wondering if you had a thread showing the build of the main column...I'm guessing there are plates in there?
fireballmatt
Novice

Postby olddog » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:23 pm

Here's the link to the column build. viewtopic.php?p=6834790#p6834790

OD
olddog
Master Distiller

Postby Kiwi-lembic » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Nice stuff Olddog ..much to digest ...

And Kiwi ...the coppers are out, bit cold pickin the thing up today but think i may of started somethin goin anyway ..ya know the ol Kiwi engenuity bud ..shes rampent round here lol
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15931
Kiwi-lembic
Bootlegger

Postby TheMechwarrior » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:14 am

olddog that is one truly inspiring piece of functional art!
I love it and it's now my desktop image to motivate me to greatness! http://homedistiller.org/forum/download/file.php?id=4575&mode=view

Once I've finished my stainless build I will be very keen to have a go at building that beauty.

Cheers,

Mech.
Together Each Achieve More
My 2" VM build thread: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=17956
TheMechwarrior
Swill Maker

Postby rockchucker22 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:02 am

olddog wrote:I have just finished the final setup, LWTCS you can now see the flow path for both the Graham condenser and the dephlagmater.
001.JPG
The valves will control the water supply to each condenser.
This is a rear view showing the feed to the dephlagmater.
002.JPG

I guess thats my still building finished for a while, its time to stop soldering and start fermenting a bit more.

OD
A small tear just ran down my cheek she's beautiful
8)
if your gonna ride, ride the wild horse
rockchucker22
Forum Mod

Postby Samohon » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:12 am

Yep, this is one of the classic builds here a HD, a treat to look at and read....

Well done OD, inspiring to say the least.... :D
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Samohon

Postby RyanS » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:43 am

I could be being totally thick here, but I'd really like to understand this design. I annotated your pic to explain my question.

1. If valve #2 controls the product/graham condenser thoughput, is there a specific reason why it couldn't go on the cold inlet where I indicated "could go here?". Is that because if it were to go on the inlet you would not have independent control of the deplagamebob?

2. ok, so valve #1 controls the amount of cooling going to the dephlagamebob (I like calling it that :D ), I get that, but what you need valve #3 for, if valve #1 already controls dephlagamebob throughput?

3. the green & purple paths, in case I'm completely misunderstanding the cooling flow?

4. dephagamater is that just another name for 'reflux condenser'? and if I understand correctly, it could be a jacket, coil or shotty??

-----------
More generally ( and feel free to boot my post out to flute talk) -

5. Sorry to quote you for the purposes of my question.. kiwistiller, "I would strongly recommend avoiding these designs if you are building. The CM is generally regarded as an inferior design." (Basic Overview of Common Reflux Designs). I'm sure there is a reason completely beyond my knowledge as to why flutes are CM, but now I'm really confused.

6. OD, I can't remember where I saw a comment ( I think it was yours). Something to the effect of without sight glasses (on one of your plated still) you could never tell if you where 'taking off' ethanol from the correct plate. If a look at something like a cristian carl still http://www.brewing-distilling.com/page2 ... -full.html it has output tubes above each of the plates , yet your design doesn't, so how do you control at which level you take the output from, if all the condensate comes out of the same tube after having been through every plate?

I guees I am assuming the concept is like this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesi ... lation.gif you open the second valve you get 'deisel', third you get 'kerosene'.

This all comes down to "Can I ditch the sight glasses in my design?" I'm honestly not concerned about the wow factor of sight glasses in my design.
Attachments
fluteannotate.jpg
RyanS
Rumrunner

Postby Grumpy365 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:46 am

Bumping an old thread.

Olddog, have you been happy with this design? Is there anything you would do different?

I see 2 pipes that confuse the living sh*t out of me. One pipe is on the condenser, one is on the flute. Your pipes pass thru them. I have about convinced myself you installed them to support the pipe. What are they? Do they support the pipe or are they capped on both ends? do they have any function?

your builds have inspired me and I am planning my build. It will be vary similar to your diesign and I am trying to understand as much as I can.

Thanks
Grumpy365
Novice

Postby olddog » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Grumpy365 wrote:Olddog, have you been happy with this design? Is there anything you would do different?

I have now changed the condenser to a shotgun type with a 2"shell and 4 1/2" vapor tubes going through, which will knock down everything, the larger Graham condenser was a bit of an overkill.
Grumpy365 wrote:I see 2 pipes that confuse the living sh*t out of me. One pipe is on the condenser, one is on the flute. Your pipes pass thru them.

There as two pipes coming out of the condenser, the top pipe is the coolant output of the product condenser, the bottom pipe is only to support the valves and has no other function.
The latest Flute Mk11 build has only one three way valve, which directs the output of the product condenser to either the dephlegmater for flute mode, or to drain for potstill mode.
Her is the three way configuration on Flute Mk11 viewtopic.php?p=6901643#p6901643

OD
olddog
Master Distiller

Postby Grumpy365 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:41 pm

olddog wrote:I have now changed the condenser to a shotgun type with a 2"shell and 4 1/2" vapor tubes going through, which will knock down everything, the larger Graham condenser was a bit of an overkill.

OD

Is overkill a bad thing?

Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic, did the "overkill" affect the output of your spirits negatively?

Was it just an overkill due to it's size and related material expense?

I REALLY appreciate your advice.
(I have quite a bit of 3" at the moment, and was planning on setting some aside for your Graham design).
Grumpy365
Novice

Postby olddog » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:44 pm

Grumpy365 wrote:Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic, did the "overkill" affect the output of your spirits negatively?
None whatsoever.
Grumpy365 wrote:Was it just an overkill due to it's size and related material expense?
Yes, this is why I built the shotgun alternative with a 2"casing. You could always use the 3"you have for a 3"shotgun. :D

OD
olddog
Master Distiller

Return to Condensers/Cooling Methods